Alcatraz at Night
The former military chapel on Alcatraz. It is located next to the Sally Port, the dock and the Building 64 residential apartments. It was built in the 1920s in the mission-revival style to accommodate for the officers at the military prison on the island. The ground floor had quarters for the officers and their families who worked at the military prison and the top floor was used as a school and chapel. It functioned as a Sunday School for children of the military personnel on Sundays. In 1934, when Alcatraz became a Federal Penitentiary, the building was used as a Bachelor Quarters for unmarried officers.
Inside a typical cell. The larger cells were located in Block D, solitary confinement. Cellblock D was where the 1946 escape attempt involving six convicts began. Marvin Shockley lit the mattress on his bed on fire, drawing the attention of the lone guard in the gun gallery. When the guard went into block D to see what the commotion was, he locked a heavy door behind him. Bernard Coy, a bank robber serving 25 years to life, shimmied up the gun gallery and with homemade bar spreaders, got into the gun gallery and now had access to weapons. When the guard returned from Block D, he was overpowered by Coy and the 3 day escape attempt began.